Date:      Sat, 5 Jul 2008 23:21:48 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Gary Kline" <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   RE: anyone been crazy enough to mirror wikipedia?

Check out Usenet.

> Be nice to ask,
> 	e.g, why homes are not required to have R-50 in the wall;
> R-90 attics.

Very simple.  Building codes are regulated by the local jurisdictions,
cities, counties, and such, with input from the state government.  The
only thing the Federal government can do is ban things - for example
the Feds can ban use of asbestos - but they cannot set building codes.
Because the local jurisdictions are -frequently- not staffed by
competent people, lots of them just punt and follow the national
electric code, or whatever industry standard that the construction
industry has come up with.  Insulation isn't required because the
construction industry doesen't want the building codes to require
anything over and above that which is needed to keep the building
from falling down, so they don't put it in their national industry
standards, thus the local jurisdictions don't require it either.
(although they certainly could if they wanted)

If you have ever had a new house built to spec  (ie: you bought
a lot in a subdivision with a designated builder, for example)
you will have a meeting with the builder and discover that for
an extra fee he can deviate from the spec plan and add a great
many amenities - like extra insulation, additional electrical
outlets, heavier duty wiring, extra gas lines, etc. etc. - that
if added after the fact would be enormously expensive and
disruptive, requiring tearing into the walls and suchlike.
Some people do, some don't.

Ted