Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 19:28:51 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is this interface ?

Stan Brown wrote:

> 	I seem to have a network interface that I don't undrestand. An ifconfig
> 	-a gives (in addition to the ones I understand):
>
> 	ds0: flags=8008<LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 65532
>
> 	I'm runing 3.4 STABLE. I can't find anythign in my kernel config that
> 	seems to call for this device, not does it seem to have a man page.
> 	Curiosity is killing me :-)

When in doubt, grep the source tree. Look in /sys/net/if_disc.c, it appears
to be some form of "discard" interface:

/*
 * Discard interface driver for protocol testing and timing.
 * (Based on the loopback.)
 */

Also, from LINT:

#  The `disc' pseudo-device implements a minimal network interface,
#  which throws away all packets sent and never receives any.  It is
#  included for testing purposes.

You can probably remove it from your kernel config. If this is appearing
when you don't have "pseudo-device disc", then that would be odd.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and