Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:32:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
To:        Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@csua.berkeley.edu>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Steve wrote:

> > 	We at GaiaNet are currently considering switching from PBI.Net to
> > CRL in a T1 link and are planning to purchase a new router as our current
> > router from WellFleet overloads and has too many probems.  We are
> > considering the Emerging Technologies Router Interface Card for FreeBSD
> > but has anyone compared the performance of this to something like a Cisco
> > 2501?  Thanks for any advice you can offer.
>
> Go with the cisco!  There is something just a bit off with freebsd's
> tcp/ip.  I have a subgroup of users who get stalls, if my freebsd's are
> not the other side of my cisco from them.  For instance, if they were to
> pull headers from a new server on the same subnet, the news server being
> freebsd, it would stop.. Same with web pages.

YMMV.  We have a FreeBSD-based router that has been handling our peering
with some 30 other networks in the UK for six months or so on an
experimental basis.  Works like a charm.

Then we have a cluster of three routers in California, one a Cisco, the
other two UNIX boxes.  The Cisco has the lightest load and causes all
the trouble.

It is worth while remembering that TCP/IP was largely developed on
UNIX boxes.
--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015