Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 08:09:39 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        nirva@ishiboo.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Matrox Meteor errors

nirva@ishiboo.com writes:

>meteor0: capture error: even FIFO overflow.
>meteor0: capture error: even FIFO overflow.

I've seen 'em too, Jim or Mark can probably explain them.

>Also, I'm having frame rate problems... what is the max frame
>rate anyone has gotten out there? At 640x480, its being too
>slow for confort, and at 520x390 its being pretty bad too,
>I'll write up stuff soon to get exact numbers. The problem
>exists with or without my image processing stuff.

I think I've heard Jim get 30 fps @ 640x480.  I've gotten
30 fps @ 352x240, but only 'til I run out of ram. I'm trying
to save to disk, not display.

>My system is a PPro200 with a Intel Venus motherboard. The X
>server is Xinside 1.3, using a Matrox Millienium 4 meg (soon
>to be 8). xdpyinfo and dmesg results are at the end of this
>message.

I'm running a dual P90, neptune chipset, which has PCI problems;
plus the PCI bus is only running at 30 Mhz, so a person could
probably get a wee bit more out of it by running at 33 Mhz.

>Any help would be appreciated, I can also distribute copies
>of my app, but at the moemnt it is hardcoded for my needs,
>16bpp display, Truecolor visual, and 24bpp input.
>
>Any clues to the problem, advice, samples of work, or
>explainations are appreciated.

I started with the `test-n.c' from the examples. My program mmap's a region
large enough for however many frames I want (200-400) and bcopys to it.
I've played with a larger circular buffer, up to 2101 pages.  It didn't
seem to make much difference.  When I run out of ram, it slows to about
10 fps.

>Danny Dulai                                           Feet. Pumice. Lotion.
>http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva/                            nirva@ishiboo.com

eric.

--
erich@lodgenet.com