Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 20:42:24 -0700
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP Conversion

> Well... The problem is that you have this attractive box just sitting there
> with 3% utilization. Something gets "temporarily" added to it, and it stays
> there forever. The best way around that is having a plan and sticking with
> it. I have two RS6000's at work, but I will not load perl on either, for
> that reason alone. I will get another box, because the beauty of PC's is
> that they are cheap and extremely reliable if you configure them correctly.
> My boss is cool on this, because we have already inherited many problems
> that "happened"  when we grew too large to conveniently extricate ourselves
> from poorly placed applications.
>
> I say to advise them that while they _can_ add apps to their PC router, they
> should not if they ever plan on growing for the above reasons.

I see similar situations all the time with PC's.  Set one up to handle a
specific task, and off load the work from some other machines or
network, and some know it all comes along and decides that we can use
machine XXX, since _ALL_ it is doing is thus and thus.... That, or some
bean counter who does not know beans about technical or reliability
issues.... They can SAVE ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS! ( we won't even get into
what that kind of thinking ends up costing them in the long run. )

So, the real problem is usually people who dont know a burrow from a
Burro.  :-)

All you can do at times is smile and shake your head, hoping that
someone, someday, will invent a pill, and be thankfull if you get paid
by the hour.

Blaine