Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:24:54 -0700
From:      Joshua Oreman <oremanj@webserver.get-linux.org>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make -- Illegal instruction - core dumpedI've been trying to

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 05:52:42PM -0500 or thereabouts, Jack L. Stone seemed to write:
> At 06:34 PM 6.13.2003 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> >Jack L. Stone wrote:
> >> I've been trying to update, via sources, an older server (586 CPU) that's
> >> running a real sparse 4.5-RELEASE, but each time I use:
> >> # make 'target' I get the following error.
> >> Illegal instruction - core dumped
> >>
> >> It's got me stopped in my tracks. Any tips for a fix appreciated....
> >
> >Sounds like buggy hardware.  Does it always fail at the same place?  If not,
> >it's probably bad RAM or a failing or overheating processor.  Try out some
> >tools like memtest86 or cpuburn to try to narrow it down.
> >
> >--
> >Bill Moran
>
> Thanks for the reply, Bill. The above error message is as far as it gets.
>
> #make 'target' and then the error is returned....

Does that happen with every make command? Have you tried different Makefiles
to see whether the problem was with `make' itself?

In any event, here's how to get some sense out of that error.
First, make a debugging version of the `make' executable:

# gcc -g -o /usr/bin/make_g /usr/src/usr.bin/make/*.c \
> /usr/src/usr.bin/make/lst.lib/*.c -I/usr/src/usr.bin/make \
> -DDEFSHELL=1

Then try and reproduce the error with `make_g' instead of `make'.
If it does the same thing, do this:
$ gdb /usr/bin/make_g make_g.core
[copyright msgs snipped]
(gdb) <-- Type 'where' at this prompt and send us the output.
(gdb) quit

-- Josh