Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:22:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Marvell chipsets on 8-CURRENT and XP x64 won't talk with one another

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Garrett Cooper wrote:

>> Just to clarify, how are the two hooked together?  Is it over gigabit
>> switch, a 10mbps hub, or directly cabled together?
>>
>> -Mike
>
>   Sure. They're both connected over a gigabit switch, but the Windows
> driver's kind of sketchy because it keeps on switching between 100MBit and
> 1GBit. I haven't really paid that much attention to what speed the FreeBSD
> msk driver is registering at.
> -Garrett

Ah ha!

I had the flopping between 100mbps and 1gbps problem with some Intel cards
once - some of the machines in the lab were fine, others kept switching
back and forth.  We eventually narrowed it down to the cables we had
hand-made; some of them just weren't up to snuff, and the NIC apparently
decided that it had to go back down to 100.

I think you should switch your gigabit switch out for a 100mbps switch and
see if the network becomes more reliable.

-Mike