Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:07:30 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Stephane THOMAS <stephane.thomas@lexmarkpartners-europe.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pb with network interface and some other questions

--Rgf3q3z9SdmXC6oT

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 04:00:43PM +0100, Stephane THOMAS wrote:

> The main pb I have is that the ethernet interface (bge0) works, but=20
> breakdown a few minutes after I boot. with this message (repeated) in the=
=20
> first VT : "bge0: PHY read timeout". I tried googling to find out a=20
> solution but I must admit I'm a little bit lost. Do one has an idea for=
=20
> this ? The problem happens with or without ACPI support.

Check the mailing list archives:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/=20

I've seen some messages concerning bge recently.

> My network interface is : Broadcom BCM5705 A1, ASIC rev. 0x3001
> I upgraded my BIOS with the last version available.
> ifconfig tell me : "media : Ethernet autoselect". I would try to force to=
=20
> 100MB but I can't find where to change this setting.

Have a look at the bge(4) and ifconfig(8)  manual pages. What you need
is the "media" parameter to ifconfig, which you should set to 100baseTX.
=20
> The second point is just a question I have : what's the difference betwee=
n=20
> 6.2-RELEASE and 6.2-STABLE ?

This can be somewhat confusing, especially since you sometimes also see
CVS tags. Have a look at appendix A.7 of the FreeBSD handbook. You'll
find the english handbook at
/usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html, but you can
also access it via the FreeBSD website:=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Roland
--=20

--Rgf3q3z9SdmXC6oT