Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 1996 12:28:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAT filesystem performance

> > A high performance FAT filesystem is certainly useful, but it might
> > require a lot of work.
>
> Yes, but we hardly need it.  (Both, stability and performance
> improvement.)  If the caching situation can cause errors, perhaps
> write an dosfsck(8) as well.

It's a tradeoff. FAT is not our primarily FS, we just need it for
compatibility (or for special situations, e.g. when someone wants
to run FreeBSD within the MSDOS slice. But as someone suggested,
there are better ways to achieve this, e.g. build a large contiguous
file and fake a disklabel which spans all the blocks within the
file).

Stability problems can probably be fixed with relatively little
effort. If we can get performance at low price (by recycling some
piece of code already in the system, e.g. the VM cache) fine. If
someone then wants to do more serious work on performance improvement,
it's all up to them.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/