Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:21:58 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        "Tom Connolly" <tomc@cqg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA Wireless Card Question

On Thursday 18 November 2004 12:42 pm, Tom Connolly wrote:
> Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 November 2004 12:30 pm, Tom Connolly wrote:
> >> Hello List,
> >> I have just put FreeBSD 5.3 Release on my Dell Latitude C600
> >> laptop. I wish to go wireless but I'm new to this technology.  I
> >> have looked through the hardware compatibility notes and have
> >> found several supported wireless cards.  My question is, what do I
> >> have to do (ports to install, configuration, etc.) to get the
> >> wireless connection up and running.
> >>
> >> Any help would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Tom
> >
> > Based on your email, I will assume that you purchased a compatible
> > wireless adapter.
> >
> > 1. Make sure your pccard slots work in FreeBSD 5.3.  There's no use
> > in struggling with the pccard if the slots don't work.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/laptop/x58.html
> >

> > 2. Make sure your kernel is configured for your hardware.  You may
> > have to add devices to your kernel:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfi
>g.h tml
>
> > 3. Configure your wireless connection:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wir
>ele ss.html
>
> > Have fun,
> >
> > Andrew Gould
>
> Oops, I guess I missed the top line in the Handbook that I can skip
> making device nodes since I am using FreeBSD 5.3.  I assume I still
> have to add the entry for the kernel though.  Is that correct?  Then
> I assume I have to recompile the kernel which I have never done
> before.  Is this also correct?  Sorry for the remedial questions.  I
> as still a newbie.
>
> Tom

For the atheros chipset, you'll need to add the following to your kernel
config file:

device ath
device ath_hal

Since this is your first time recompiling a kernel, you might consider
the following advice:

1. Start with a copy of GENERIC.  Since you're currently running it, you
know it works.

2. Put additions at the bottom of the file so that you can find them
easily.

3. When you comment out unused options or devices, comment them out with
a combination of characters so that you can find/reverse your changes
easily.  For example, rather than simply add a '#' to the front of a
line, you could add 2 #'s and your initials (in my case, that would be
'##ag').

Good luck,

Andrew Gould