Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 2002 09:57:22 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        Mike <massey@rmci.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPNAT help

Mike wrote:
> Trying to setup a small local network off of my DSL. Currently I use a
> different OS to do this but I am switching, or trying to..
>
> I am using IPNAT and have added all of the options to redo the kernel.
> options 	INET			#InterNETworking
> options 	IPFIREWALL
> options 	IPDIVERT
> options 	IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
> options 	IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=10
> options   	IPSTEALTH
> options   	TCP_RESTRICT_RST
> options 	INET6			#IPv6 communications protocols
>
> Recompiled and setup my firewall - Works great. Next went after ipnat
> and natd (Note some of these I do not need I think but which ones?) I
> need a clear step by step on this if someone has one.
>
> My RC.CONF with IP changed
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Sat Nov 30 16:10:02 2002
> # Created: Sat Nov 30 16:10:02 2002
> # Enable network daemons for user convenience.
> # Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> #My ADSL router
> defaultrouter="216.0.0.33"
> ipfilter_enable="YES"
> ipnat_anabled="YES"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="fpx0"
> natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
> gateway_enable="YES"
> hostname="myhost.myhost.us"
> ifconfig_fxp0="inet 216.0.0.35  netmask 255.255.255.248"
> ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.0.2  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> inetd_enable="NO"
> ipv6_enable="YES"
> kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
> linux_enable="YES"
> nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
> sendmail_enable="YES"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> usbd_enable="YES"
> #required for ipfw support
> firewall_enable="YES"
> #firewall_script="/etc/ipfw.rules"
> firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
> firewall_type="simple"
> firewall_quiet="NO"     #change to YES once happy with rules
> firewall_logging_enable="YES"
> #extra firewalling options
> log_in_vain="YES"
> tcp_restrict_rst="YES"
> icmp_drop_redirect="YES"
>
> Next added my ipnat.conf file
>
> map fxp0 192.168.0.0/24 -> 216.222.2.35/29 portmap tcp/udp 10000:65000
>
> So pick it apart and point me in the right direction if possible. I am
> continuing to try and make it work...
>
> Thanks
>
> PS - This is my First post on anything in FreeBSD, the rest from MySQL
> to SSHD SSL Apache PHP Webmin all went great!

You do not need both ipnat and natd.
Ipnat is ipfilters way of doing nat, while natd is the ipfw way.
If you run ipfilter, you run ipnat. If you choose ipfw, you're
stuck with ipfw.
You can, if you want, run both ipfilter and ipfw, but you
probably should try to get one of them going first before
attempting anything like that.

My advice is pick one, ipnat or natd, and remove the other.