Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 11:17:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        charnier@lirmm.fr (Philippe Charnier)
Subject:   Re: Keyboard reset failed

As Philippe Charnier wrote:

> I got this message at boot since the last commit to syscons. I tried to
> increase the number of tries to 20 (default is 10) but no luck. The returned
> val is 0xfa (aka KB_ACK). Should this failure be hidden when option
> KEYBOARD_RESET_BROKEN (if I remember the correct name) is defined in the
> kernel?

Err, major confusion. :)

BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET means the *system* cannot be reset through the
keyboard controller, so the ``CPU shutdown'' (wipe all page tables,
and flush the TLB) must be used to force a CPU reset.

``Keyboard reset failed'' means that your keyboard didn't response
with a ``reset done'' message to the ``reset keyboard'' command during
scprobe().  This is basically benign.  It's arguable that the entire
keyboard reset can be omitted from the console drivers.  If there's a
keyboard present, it has already been initialized by the BIOS, and
it's usable for us.

--
cheers, J"org