Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 05:55:30 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Braindead spider from 198.4.83.49

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 10:02:52PM -0500, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
> I really don't know whom else to ask this. It has nothing to do
> with FreeBSD. I just figured someone here will know (and since chat
> is about anything...)
>
> Does anyone know who is behind the IP of 198.4.83.49? I cannot
> ping it. I cannot browse to it.

Well, see whe it's registered to.

blackhelicopters~;whois -h whois.arin.net 198.4.83.49
UUNET Technologies, Inc. (NETBLK-UUNETCBLK) NETBLK-UUNETCBLK4
						     198.4.0.0 - 198.4.255.255
IBM Almaden Research Center (NET-IBMARCNET) IBMARCNET198.4.83.0 - 198.4.83.255

To single out one record, look it up with "!xxx", where xxx is the
handle, shown in parenthesis following the name, which comes first.

The ARIN Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet
Network Information: Networks, ASN's, and related POC's.
Please use the whois server at rs.internic.net for DOMAIN related
Information and whois.nic.mil for NIPRNET Information.

ARIN has delegated to UUNET, who delegated to IB MAlmaden Research
Center.  Find the contact for that netblock from the name given to the block:

blackhelicopters~;whois -h whois.arin.net ibmarcnet
IBM Almaden Research Center (NET-IBMARCNET)
   650 Harry Road
   San Jose, CA 95120
   US

   Netname: IBMARCNET
   Netblock: 198.4.83.0 - 198.4.83.255

   Coordinator:
      Rall, Tony  (TR783-ARIN)  trall@ALMADEN.IBM.COM
      408/927-2667 (FAX) 408/927-4115

   Record last updated on 21-Jul-1997.
   Database last updated on 24-May-2001 22:53:46 EDT.

The ARIN Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet
Network Information: Networks, ASN's, and related POC's.
Please use the whois server at rs.internic.net for DOMAIN related
Information and whois.nic.mil for NIPRNET Information.
blackhelicopters~;

Contact the coordinator, and kindly ask him who to bitch at.

Have fun.  :)

==ml

--
Michael Lucas