Date:      Fri, 12 Aug 2011 09:55:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      lamarw <lamarw@metrocast.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umass: AutoSense failed

I was experiencing this same issue on my FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p2,
FreeNAS-8.0.1-BETA4-i386 box. What fixed it for me was moving my bootable
usb drive to the lower usb port (apparently da0). Without thinking I had put
my console cable on that port and the bootable drive on the next port. After
reading several postings I tried putting the usb drive in the other port and
it came up without the error message: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): AutoSense
failed. Apparently it was attemting to seek response from the usb port
(da0?) and got none. Also, apparently it didn't seek response's from any
other ports. So, for now I'm up and runing.

Hope this helps others.

Incidentally, if anyone would like to chime in on defining da0 I would
appreciate that.

Lamar