Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:46:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates and debug.max_softdeps

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :FYI:  On hub.freebsd.org (the freebsd mailing list server), if we activate
> :softupdates on the disk containing the postfix spool, the machine reboots
> :(silently if I recall correctly) within 5 minutes of postfix starting up.
> :
> :This is a much smaller system of course, with smaller memory and filesystem
> :working set.  (postfix spool of ~50-80MB, 256MB ram).  I thought I'd post
> :this as a real-use datapoint.
> :Cheers,
> :-Peter
> :--
> :Peter Wemm - peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; peter@netplex.com.au
> :...
> :Tom wrote:
> :>   Yes, postmark operates on the same file set.  I used the following
> :> postmark settings:
> :>
> :> set number 30000
> :> set transactions 4000000
> :> set size 1500 200000
> :...
>
>     I'm running the postmark test on my 3.x and 4.x test boxes now using
>     a large softupdates partition (33G on each) and large memory (512M and 1G)
>     configuration.

  How many instances of postmark are you running?  I used 4 separate
instances (you must run them in separate directories).

  How fast are your disks?  I used an external RAID-5 array that appears
as single disk to FreeBSD.  It is RAID-5, so the performance isn't that
great for writing.  I think my virtual disk is quite slow.  If your system
has fast disks, run more instances of postmark.

>     The 4.x box seems to have stabilized at around 14MB of KVM, the 3.x box
>     seems to have stabilized at around 9MB of KVM.  I'll leave it running
>     for a while to see if there are any memory leaks and then try reducing
>     debug.max_softdeps to see what happens.
>
>     We are still looking for panic messages.

  Well, I lost last nights panic because of fsck complaining about several
million unreferenced files.  I'm going to log to disk next time.

> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@backplane.com>

Tom