Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 1999 08:40:32 -0600
From:      "Dan Dockery" <danarchy@endeneu.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Install on an HP Vectra XU

I'm currently trying to set up FreeBSD o na Vectra XU and I'm not
having a lot of luck.  Before I got it, it was running NT just fine so
I'm sure the HD is OK, but every time I complete the installation I get
some form of error when it tries to boot.  Using "Dangerously
Dedicated," I simply get "Read error."  Using 1 partition for freebsd
and disklabels to split it up (in compatible mode), I get the Boot
manager and nothing will go past it, and using 4 seperate partitions
for FreeBSD I get "Bad partition table" when it boots.
Does anyone know what might be causing this?  I've flashed the BIOS to
the latest and low-level formatted the drive.  I haven't tried an
external drive yet, but I plan to upon completion of this mail.

The computer is a Pentium Pro/200 w/ 256k cache and 128 meg. of RAM.
The SCSI controller is integrated on the motherboard and is an Adaptec
7880 chipset.  The current hard drive is a Seagate 32171N.  I've
installed FreeBSD on computers using the 7880 before and had no
problem...  and since the boot disk boots without problem, I'll assume
that isn't the issue.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

-Dan