Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 10:24:22 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        tim@scratch.demon.co.uk, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum

On Saturday,  6 March 1999 at 11:27:23 -0500, John Fieber wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> vinum - is this volume management such like vold in solaris ?
>>
>> I believe it has a similar function.  There are other volds which
>> apparently do different things.
>
> Unless I missed something, vold on solaris is completely different:
>
>      vold - Volume Management daemon to manage CD-ROM and  floppy
>      devices
>
> It handles automounting of removable media, at least on Solaris
> 2.6. Sun does have a vinum-like product, but vold isn't it.

Oops.  Yes, I've checked the man page now, and it carries on to say:

DESCRIPTION
       The Volume Management daemon, vold, creates and  maintains
       a  file system image rooted at root-dir that contains sym-
       bolic names for floppies and CD-ROMs.  The  default  root-
       dir  is set to /vol if no directory is specified by the -d
       option.

This is nothing like what vinum does.  Vinum creates virtual disks.
Sorry for the confusion.

Greg