Date:      Mon, 3 May 2021 19:22:26 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Subject:   Re: Timezone problems on -current

On 2021-May-3, at 19:18, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2021-May-3, at 18:52, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:
>=20
>> On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 02:13:55AM +0100, tech-lists wrote:
>>>=20
>>> # ntpd
>>> ntpdate_enable=3D"YES"
>>> ntpdate_flags=3D"-b"
>>> ntpdate_hosts=3D"uk.pool.ntp.org"
>>> ntpd_enable=3D"YES"
>>> ntpd_sync_on_start=3D"YES"
>>>=20
>=20
> Warning from the ntpdate man page:
>=20
> QUOTE
>     The ntpdate utility will decline to set the date if an NTP server =
daemon
>     (e.g., ntpd(8)) is running on the same host.
> END QUOTE
>=20
> The above enables both and possibly makes the two
> compete with each other depending on how they race
> at the start. I'd avoid the mix.
>=20
>> Up to now I've used only the line=20
>> ntpdate_enable=3D"YES"
>> and it's been enough to keep the clock sane. On the last reboot
>> it appears ntpdate either didn't run or failed silently. The most
>> obvious suspect is a wireless ethernet bridge that might be saying
>> it's up before the access point is responsive.
>>=20
>> I'll have to do a few test reboots when the machine becomes idle.
>> I know ntpdate works sometimes, but perhaps not always. =20
>=20
> I'll note that I use ntpd instead of ntpdate in
> my /etc/rc.conf files:
>=20
> ntpd_enable=3D"YES"
> ntpd_sync_on_start=3D"YES"
> ntpd_user=3D"root"
>=20
> Such might be an alternative. But I do not know the
> detailed tradeoffs for this or other alternatives.
>=20

Another quote from "man ntpdate":

QUOTE
     Note: The functionality of this program is now available in the =
ntpd(8)
     program.  See the -q command line option in the ntpd(8) page.  =
After a
     suitable period of mourning, the ntpdate utility is to be retired =
from
     this distribution.
END QUOTE

=3D=3D=3D