Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:31:49 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade 4.8-4.9 help!

Bob Perry wrote:

> Eric F Crist wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 06:25 pm, richard wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to upgrade Freebsd 4.8 to 4.9 using sysinstall | upgrade
>>> off a
>>> 4.9 CD.  All seems fine until it gets to the point where it reports it
>>> can't even extract the bin distribution and fails.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a fool-proof way to get this upgrade through?
>>> Preferably some idiot-proof instructions I can follow.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Richard
>>>

>> Richard,
>>
>> If you have broadband, install cvsup, read the man page on that, and
>> install new sources over FTP via cvsup.  Once you have a correct
>> supfile, it's pretty brainless.  Most of us have some upgrading done
>> via cron on a regular basis, completely unattended.
>>

> Would you care to summarize your upgrading procedure which you process
> on a "regular
> basis, completely unattended."?  Details not necessary at this time,
> just very curious.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Perry
>
>> HTH

Haven't done it, but I'm guessing it's:

X      Y      Z      A            cvsup /path/to/my.supfile
Q      R      S      T            cd /usr/src && make buildworld >
/my/homedir/buildworld.log
"make buildkernel etc., make installkernel, make installworld, etc.

I've been thinking of scripting this procedure and
then just calling "upgrade.php*" via cron.  Doubt that
it'd be too good for the 'mergemaster' step, though.

FWIW, the chapter in the handbook actually
makes the procedure pretty clear.

Kevin Kinsey

*Yeah, PHP for scripting, I know ... give a old
  dog new languages?  Not yet, please....  ;-)