Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:08:30 +0900
From:      Westbay Family <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keytool and Tomcat https under 1.4.1

On 2003.3.23, at 06:43  AM, Tom Samplonius-san wrote:

>   Disable the port's silly startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, and
> use
> Tomcat's own startup script startup.sh in the bin directory.  See the
> Tomcat install docs.

I was using the startup scripts that came with both the
jakarta-tomcat-4.1.21-LE-jdk14 and jakarta-tomcat4.1.[18|24].  The
problem, as confirmed by Zelkin-san is with SSL in the JDK 1.4.1
current patch set.

JDK 1.4.1 works fine when I leave the HTTPS connector off in
conf/server.xml.  SSL works fine with the HTTPS connector on using JDK
1.3.1.

>   In many cases, "ports" of Java applications is needless.  The binary
> is
> cross-platform already.  And wrapping the app in a undocumented
> propietary startup script isn't helping anyone.

Actually, I like the tomcat41ctl script as it allows me to run Tomcat
with the unprivileged www account.  It may not be the pinnacle of
safety, but it's something.

If you know of a better way run with the standard scripts as a user
without a shell account, I'd like to know about it.  Learning jail is
on my list of things to do, but thanks to tomcat41ctl, it isn't that
high at the moment.

> Most people are going to
> better off downloading the Tomcat binary from http://jakarta.apache.org
> than using the FreeBSD port.  Just untar it, and run startup.sh.

Agreed.  One can keep more up to date by downloading the most recent
version.  Just rename its directory to /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1
without uninstalling a previous port install and one can still use
tomcat41ctl to run it as the www user.

I like the various alternatives that have been proposed that are
configurable.

---
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/