Date:      07 Oct 2000 19:54:32 +0200
From:      Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_3

    Odhiambo> poeza: /usr/home/wash (4) % uname -a FreeBSD
    Odhiambo> poeza.iconnect.co.ke 3.5-STABLE FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE #6: Sat
    Odhiambo> Oct 7 19:01:04 EAT 2000 root@:/usr/src/sys/compile/POEZA i386

    Odhiambo> That makes me think that I maybe missing something. I really
    Odhiambo> need to get the box to 3.5.1-STABLE, especially in the light
    Odhiambo> of the security implications announced today.

3.5.1-STABLE doesn't exist, 3.5.1-RELEASE exists. 3.5.1-RELEASE is an
snapshot of RELENG_3 at a given date.

So if you update via cvsup to RELENG_3 you will never get 3.5.1-RELEASE but
the code in the tree at the date it got released plus all the commits done
since.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/current-stable.html

could be interesting to read

Regards

Eric Masson
--
Progress (n) : What led from smart users in front of dumb terminals to
dumb users in front of smart terminals.