Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 02:45:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hangs with SMP

>    I just started doing some testing of the -current SMP code and had a hard
> hang a few minutes into a "make -j2 world". The machine seemed quite dead -
> even the soft power switch didn't work. The hang occured during heavy disk
> I/O, so it seems like it could be a problem with managing the APIC. The
> machine is a dual PII/450 on a Tyan S1836DLUAN-GX motherboard.

FYI, the ``soft power switch'' normally needs the CPU to respond in order
for it to work, however, there is a timeout circuit such that if the
switch is held for >4 or so seconds the power supply is told to shut down.

I know this won't help you find the SMP bug, but it may atleast allow you
to reset the machine without pulling the power plug out of the wall.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                   rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD