Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 08:59:29 -0400
From:      Drew Derbyshire <software@kew.com>
To:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP hard lock in 2.2.6

Forrest W. Christian wrote:
> After spewing the very long debug line into the ppp config ppp locks even
> more reliably.   It seems to always lock at the following point:
>
>    Chat: Sending: ATE1Q0
>    Chat: Expecting: OK
>    Chat: Wait for (5): OK
>
> If I run ppp inside of ktrace, I get one more line, usually:
>
>    Connect:
>
> The unusual thing is that previously it would lock at somewhat random
> points - sometimes it would connect and then die, sometimes it would die
> before I could type DIAL.

Don't laugh, but try a different modem as well.  I have this alomost matched
set of old v.32bis modems that I acquired, and for some reason they could lock
up FreeBSD solid if one was in the machine with my newer 28.8 modem.   This
was just using kermit, and the problem didn't happen under Windows 95 or OS/2.

--
Drew Derbyshire         UUPC/extended e-mail:  software@kew.com
                                   Telephone:  617-279-9812

 Windows NT, the chastity belt of operating systems.