Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:52:00 -0500
From:      Eric Schultz <eric@schultznet.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which jdk?

Robert Huff wrote:
> 	1) You need a working Java to build a working Java.

Just curious, does that mean after the first time you install Java
subsequent re-installs or upgrades can use the /native/ port that was
first installed using the Linux package?

> 	2) Due to restrictions from Sun, there is no FreeBSD native JDK
> _package_.

Write Once, Run Anywhere!  Except...

What's the GCJ story?  How do they get away with it?  Way off-topic
though, and more than my brain could probably cope with right now.
Never mind.

> 	3) So, to build the 1.4 (or 1.5) _port_, we install the Linux
> 1.4 package and use it to compile the code.  Once the native port
> has built successfully, you can delete the Linux port.

That just doesn't sound right, at a meta-physical level.

--
Headed for the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...

   Eric Schultz
   (aka Storkman)

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/schultznet
Homepage: http://www.schultznet.ca