Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:27:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Puri <natepuri@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE2 experiences

Hi all,

Some notes on my recent 18hr compile of KDE2.

Bugs.  On startup, artsd does not start successfully.
Kaiman crashes when trying to load mp3 files, rather,
I get an error that says "artsd not started".  Second
kwrited does not start successfully and I get a crash
panel.  Third, konsole does not start and I get a
crash panel.  Trying to start the embedded konsole in
konqueror crashes konqueror.  Fourth, konqueror does
not handle javascript correctly, and yes I did enable
it.  Kpm the gtop like app for kde does not get
compiled.  So the process monitor applet does not
work. Konqueror does not load all images all the time.
When quitting from the KOShell without saving
something, it crashes.  It still cannot create devices
like the cd; keeps giving false error of bad
permissions.

I'm sure there are others.  Just goes to show that *.0
releases are usually wishful thinking.  Even FBSD 4.0
had some big issues and of course FBSD is highly
respected.

Overall the functionality is really good, konqueror is
pretty fast, and having one app/viewer window is cool.
 If they could manage embeddable mp3 playing like what
Nautilaus is doing that would be cool.  Konqueror is a
 nice netscape replacement, because it's much lighter
and mozilla is way to huge and still too slow.  The
new kwin window manager is really fast and quite
stable.  Most of the kde utils and apps are really
nice.

I'm surprise Gnome 1.2 has features still not present
in KDE2.  Here I go back to playing with WindowMaker,
Afterstep and Sawfish...  I can't decide if I like the
all-in-one attitude of konqueror or the
click-and-launch the best app of other file managers.
Hmmm...

-Nate