Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 12:54:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

> > > Try using it _seriously_ someday and no explanation will be necessary.
> > > Suffice it to say that it has absolutely nothing to do with the
> > > documentation.
> >
> > The problem with CVS is access protocol.
>
> No, the problem is that CVS doesn't handle diverging source trees very
> well.  The access to the tree is *completely* and *utterly* irrelevant
> to the problems at hand, and just because you want it changed doesn't
> mean you should get on your soapbox and call for it's implentation.
>
> Stick the to *problem* that's being discussed, not one that you (and
> only you) consider to be a real problem with CVS.
>
> You're tryin to break the model that CVS was designed for, and this part
> of the model is *NOT* one of the problems FreeBSD is facing now.

Nate: you're wrong.

The main argument against "let's get rid of -stable" is that -stable
is known to be buildable.  If -current were known to be buildable,
it would support the argument for getting rid of -stable.

CVS can reconcile source trees (merge branch tags) just fine... we
did that sort of thing at Novell with a CVS version of three years
ago, no problems.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---