Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 03:00:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SciTeXt (font problem)

It seems that Christoph P. Kukulies said:

> > On Sun, 4 Aug 1996, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:
> >
> > > Desired Font not in Cache - loading !!!
> > > ERROR:Font could not be loaded by X-Server !bgate#
> > >
> > > The window pops up for the half of a second and then the app dies.
> >
> > I had this problem at first too, just go into your XF86Config file and add
> > the directory /usr/local/scitext/dof to your fontpath list.  Don't worry
> > about mkfontdir, it already had a dir in the directory.
>
> Which raises the question: Which is better policy for installing fonts
> under X:
>
> 1) adding an arbitrary non-evident directory to the fontpath

Yucko!  I've tried to avoid this unless absolutely necessary.
Ideally, these directories are *major* things -- not piddly
stuff like ".../nethack" or ".../foo".  I *guess* you could
argue the scitext stuff belongs in this category...  (grrr)

> 2) creating another directory in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
>
> 3) putting the fonts into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc

For onesy-twosy (sp?  :>) fonts, this is the approach I have
used (e.g., ".../nethack")