Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 10:49:00 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        uwi mAn <uwi@delfi.lv>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

> Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:36:23 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On 2001-07-06, uwi mAn scribbled:
>
> # what's the difference between SVR and  Solaris?
>
> SVR standard for System V Release and is a way of saying (what used to
> be) AT&T Unix. Solaris (which came from the BSD background and at that
> time was called SunOS) is a System V implementation of UNIX.
>
> UNIX comes in two major flavors: System V and BSD. Current UNIX
> operating systems are either based on System V or BSD... but many
> include features from the other implementation (like Digital UNIX... now
> Compaq Tru64 Unix).
>
> Correct me if I messed up or am flat out wrong ;-)

I guess I should not correct you as you are not flat-out wrong, but
there are a number of Unix/Unix-like kernels out there with a variety
of environments that are BSD-like, SysV line, and flat out weird.

The example you mention of Tru64 UNIX is not BSD or SysV. It is based
on OSF/1 which was, in turn, based on mach. It was designed to look
like either BSD or SysV, depending on what you preferred, although to
get a real SysV flavor you need to add the SysV licensed products
package to get things like sar. But I've been told that with this
package, it is almost indistinguishable from SysV.

Darwin and MacOS X are also based on a Mach kernel, but have only a
BSD environment around the kernel.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)