Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 15:36:44 -0700
From:      "Max Calvo" <mcalvo@maxcalvo.net>
To:        "Jonathon Doran" <doranj@Colorado.EDU>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: makign web pages load fast

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 1999 3:12 PM

> > I have been running Apache for several months, however, I need to
improve
> > the performance of Apache. I want my web pages to load as fast as Yahoo!
web
> > pages. Also, I 'need t o track the hits per pages in my server.
>
> First, how do you measure "fast".  Are you measuring the wall-clock time
> that a page and all its consituants take to load?  From where?
>
> I imagine you aren't talking about loading the pages locally.  This is
usually
> faster since no communication links are used.  And when you are measuring
> foreign load times one needs to consider network topology.
>
> If I load a page off Yahoo from a site which is linked via an OC3 line to
> Yahoo, load times will be minimal.  If we are talking 40 hops from site
foo
> to Yahoo, some of these using routers from the 1940's then things will be
> much slower.  So to get any meaningful help here, I think you should
clarify
> the environment you are using to measure performance.
>
> Some general guidelines can be offered for speeding up access.  Most of
which
> fall under the category of limiting the amount of data transferred.  Given
> X bytes of data, I don't see apache taking considerably longer than Yahoo.
> I don't believe that Yahoo is a single machine, so having N servers will
> make Yahoo faster.  On the other hand, you probably don't have 6000 people
> pounding on your machine.  For the record, I run apache and am quite happy
> with its performance.
>
> Hits for a page can be tracked by grepping the apache log files, then
using
> wc.  If you want to track an entire tree, I would write a perl script to
> count the hits.  This is a good use for associative arrays.
> page[url]++
>
> Jon Doran

Jon;

Thanks for your fast response. I really appreciated. I have a 256k line in
my home that I use to run my web server. My server is a P233 with 96 MB RAM
and 4.5GB IDE HD.

OK, Everytime there is a request, Apache have to get the web page from the
HD since I see the HD lights come up when I request a page. However, I need
to know if apache can preload this pages into server RAM and then get them
from there. My analogy is simple, RAM access is faster than HD access. Iam
not taking about using the computer cache or swap file. I am taking RAM
chips. I have been reading a little beat about MFS. Would this be the
solution that I am looking for? Or, Does Apache have  a directive that can
preload web pages in RAM.

Right now it takes a few seconds to get a webpage in my internal network
from my webserver. My expectation is that the web page should be loaded in
my client across the room in less than a second. I have a 10MB network at
home with seven computer, 4 of them FBSD.

Thanks for the hit pages tip using grep

-Max