Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:54:50 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mr Anderson <anderson.gnu@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update ports from a file

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

Mr Anderson wrote:
> Hello
>=20
> I have been using FreeBSD in the Univ recently and quite interesting. I
> decided to installed FreeBSD 6.2 in my laptop (I dont have internet
> connection) and now I want to install apache and other software. So, I
> downloaded  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/ports.tar.gz and
> copy to my laptop to update ports.
> How do I update ports from the
> file? Right now, I have an old version of Ports, portsnap fetch does not
> work because I do not have internet
> connection, and FreeBSD does not recognize my netowrk card reader, so
> I want to do it by hand , step by step.
>=20
> Any tip how to do update? Should I just unzip the file in /usr/ports , but
> previosly delete everything???

I'd mv /usr/ports /usr/ports.orig before unzipping the port. Also have a
look at the `fetch-recursive-list' target. It allows you to generate a
shell script that will download all the required distfiles for a specific
port. E.g.

cd /usr/ports/www/apache22
make fetch-recursive-list

If you are going for packages instead of ports, have a look at
pkg_fetch(1).

--=20
Best regards / Viele Gr=FC=DFe,                             barner@FreeBSD.=
org