Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 11:44:27 -0700
From:      Matthew Rochlin <rochlin@mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HP Laserjet with JetDirect Network card -- how-to

Situation: New FreeBSD (v 4.1.1) system just added to my LAN (which for
ref. consists of The BSD box, a Win2k box, a Mac, and...
An HP LaserJet 4m+ Postscript/PCLwith a JetDirect (ethernet) printserver
card (firmware updated to latest).)
All wired through a linksys switch/router.
The BSD machine is on 192.168.1.50 and the printer (mattshp in /etc/hosts)
is on 192.168.1.99

I can print to the HP network printer from my Mac and my PC.  No special
drivers (generic postscript laserprinter driver only) required.

The question:  How do I print to the HP from my FreeBSD machine?
This was Almost covered in "The Complete FreeBSD. 3rd ed."  I mean, the
concept was mentioned ("More modern printers may also have an Ethernet
interface...pg294), but I didn't really see any details.

I was confused by the Handbook (I'm a newbie.   Most of the relevant stuff
seemed to be in the advanced printing section and I couldn't put together
anything from it that got close to working.).
I tried some various posted recipies scoured from random net groups, but
nothing's a go so far.

I gather I have to have an entry in /etc/printcap that would look something
like:
laser:\
:rm=mattshp:\:rp=lp:\
:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/laser:\
:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
:sh:\
:rs:\
:ff=:\
:fo

(Which should enable me to print with lp -d laser FILENAME, I hoped).

I'm missing a lot and don't really know what I'm doing.   I guess I might
need a Perl script to handle the HP filtering?

Well, what I'm looking for is a flat out recipie.   DO THIS...
HP Laserprinters are the most common in the world.  There must be 10's of
thousands hooked up to FreeBSD LANs...
Thank You
Matthew Rochlin
708 Nowita Place