Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 08:50:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

On Friday, 12 March 1999 at 13:30:24 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> Folks,
>
>     Okay, so I have now torn down the Solaris 2.6/x86 anonymous ftp
> server that I was working on, and have put FreeBSD 3.1-stable on it
> instead.  I'm now trying to get vinum working correctly, so that I can
> have my disk partitions back (I guess I should also get ssh installed on
> there, because right now I'm going to have to manually re-type all the
> vinum information ;-).
>
>     Anyway, the one hurdle I'm trying to get over at the moment is that
> vinum thinks that the devices /dev/da1c through /dev/da9c do not exist
> (they do -- I created them with MAKEDEV), and therefore it refuses to
> start the disks d1 through d9.  Without those disks, of course neither of
> the two plexes start up, and of course the volume fails to start as well.
>

>     Any suggestions?

RTFM (vinum(8)):

   DRIVE LAYOUT CONSIDERATIONS
     vinum drives are currently BSD disk partitions.  They must be of type
     unused in order to avoid overwriting file systems.  In later versions of
     vinum this requirement will change to type vinum. Use disklabel -e to ed-
     it a partition type definition.  The following display shows a typical
     partition layout as shown by disklabel:

     8 partitions:
     #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
       a:    81920   344064    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.  240*- 297*)
       b:   262144    81920      swap                        # (Cyl.   57*- 240*)
       c:  4226725        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 2955*)
       e:    81920        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 - 57*)
       f:  1900000   425984    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.  297*- 1626*)
       g:  1900741  2325984    unused        0     0     0   # (Cyl. 1626*- 2955*)

     In this example, partition g may be used as a vinum partition.  Parti-
     tions a, e and f may be used as UFS file systems or ccd partitions.  Par-
     tition b is a swap partition, and partition c represents the whole disk
     and should not be used for any other purpose.

     vinum uses the first 265 sectors on each partition for configuration in-
     formation, so the maximum size of a subdisk is 265 sectors smaller than
     the drive.

Vinum ignores partition c.  This will become more important when I
finally get round to creating a vinum fstype: c *must* be "unused",
and the vinum partition will then have to be "vinum".  It's bad
practice to use partition c for anything except administration,
anyway.

Greg