Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 07:47:12 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help mounting ext2/3, ntfs [was: <no subject>]

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 02:25:09PM +0000, Voicu Liviu wrote:
> my problem is mounting vfat/ext3 partitions:
> under linux my table looks like:
> /dev/hda1 - > win2k
> /dev/hda2 - > root of gentoo linux
> /dev/hda3 - > swap of gentoo linux
> /dev/hda4 - > my freebsd workstation
>
> Any 1 please, how do I mount the partition of linux/win2k under freebsd?
>
> Every thing is named different in freebsd.
> Thanks
>

> --
> Voicu Liviu

Voicu,

First, ALWAYS put a subject in your post and try your best to summarize
the entire question in a few descriptive words.  Frequently, not putting
a subject will cause list members to skip over and ignore your post.

Second, read the handbook section 2.5: Allocating Disk Space at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html
This should help you to understand device naming/numbering in FreeBSD

That said, assuming that you are using IDE HDDs, you device names will
probably correspond between Linux -> FreeBSD something like:

FreeBSD    -> Linux
/dev/ad0s1 -> /dev/hda1
/dev/ad0s2 -> /dev/hda1
/dev/ad0s3 -> /dev/hda1
/dev/ad0s4 -> /dev/hda1

From here you can read up mount(8) for more information on mounting
various filesystem types.  A Google (or similar) search would probably
also prove helpful.

Good luck,

Nathan