Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 07:40:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter van Dijk <petervd@vuurwerk.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSDDEATH.c.txt (mmap dirty page no check bug)

:On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 10:38:37PM +1200, Andrew McNaughton wrote:
:[snip]
:>
:> Absence of /tmp is a pretty major oversight for any machine.  Putting it
:> on the root partition is doubly so.  If there's no sepsrate partition it
:> should at least be an alias to /var/tmp or something of the sort.
:
:To /usr/tmp, please, then.
:
:/var/tmp is designed to be not cleaned out on reboots.
:
:Greetz, Peter.

    It should be /var/tmp.   It's bad enough that some bozo created two
    standard locations for temporary files (/tmp and /var/tmp), we don't
    want to add a third.

    Frankly, it makes no sense to have more then one.  In every machine
    I've ever configured for the last umpteen years I've created a /var/tmp
    partition and softlinked /tmp to it.  Programs make no real distinction
    in functionality except perhaps a couple of minor ones in our tree.
    You wind up having to put tonnes of space in both anyway so they might
    as well be the same.  It just doesn't make any sense to separate them
    out nor does it make sense to introduce yet another 'standard' location
    for tmp.

    The cron job should generally just use a find -mtime ... -delete for
    /tmp rather then attempt to wipe it entirely.  There should be no
    distinction in functionality.

    So it should be /var/tmp with /tmp a softlink.  Works just dandy even
    in single-user mode (you create a degenerate /var/tmp in / so you get
    a working tmp even if /var is not mounted).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>