Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 08:58:38 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating rdist

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 07:16:49AM -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> In message <20001112140045.K555@puck.firepipe.net>, Will Andrews writes:
> > On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 03:59:05AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> > > I have just committed a `44bsd-rdist' port.
> > > So the question is, do we totally remove `rdist' from the base system,
> > > or update it to rdist 6.1.5?
> >
> > I personally think it's better to remove it and update in ports.  Cy
> > Schubert makes a good point (if it is valid; I didn't check and don't
> > know myself) that 44bsd-rdist and rdist6 are interoperable on mutally
> > exclusive systems.  Hence, it makes sense that a system administrator
> > should need to look in ports for what they need.
>
> The description file from the rdist6 ports states:
>
> 	This version of rdist is not directly compatible with rdist
> 	distributed with 4.3BSD and subsequent vendor releases, but does
> 	indirectly provide full backward compatibility.
>
> >From the rdist6(1) man page:
>
>        The  -Server option is recognized to provide partial back-
>        ward compatible support for older versions of rdist  which
>        used  this option to put rdist into server mode.  If rdist
>        is started with the -Server command line option,  it  will
>        attempt  to  exec  (run)  the  old version of rdist.  This
>        option will only work if rdist was compiled with the loca-
>        tion of the old rdist (usually either /usr/ucb/oldrdist or
>        /usr/old/rdist) and that program is available at run time.
>
> To support both the classic rdist and rdist6 protocols, both need to be
> installed.

[catching up... adding my 2c to the knowledge pool]

This information is often requoted, and believed. Please don't. The use
of the word "partial" above is optimistic. I haven't heard of anybody
ever actually getting it to work that way, but I've heard of people
trying and giving up in frustration.

I'll give a jelly-bean to anyone who can find the mythical "oldrdist"
file for the box at the Linux end. It's quite extinct.

If our own old rdist executable will service the kludge described
above, and if the FreeBSD system is the one that is sitting at the end
of the rdist where that is what's required, then I guess the old file
would need to be installed and renamed. I don't know if we've automated
or documented that yet, or tested it.

As others have said, we do need to be faced with making an informed
decision at or after install, based on the OSs to be involved.

We also need to avoid regurgitating misleading and untested information
if that applies to the quote above as I suspect it still does.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-