Date:      25 Jan 2001 14:47:54 MST
From:      Assad Khan <assad.khan@usa.net>
To:        Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Re: FreeBSD-VS-Linux---Some Venting from Linux's side!]

Like I said, my point is not to argue that Linux is better than BSD, of c=
ourse
it is not. But is is getting there. Inspite of all the exploits that are =
to be
found in the new kernel it is getting significantly better. When I ran Fr=
eeBSD
after running Linux for about 9 months I found it to be more polished and=
 well
designed. My venting is a result of some people equating Linux with Windo=
ws
NT. I am more for unity than fighting. When I joined this list I thought =
would find people that appreciated Linux and its efforts, unfortunately i=
t was
otherwise. We Linux users regard BSD as a big brother to Linux, but you s=
eem
not to act that way.

Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com> wrote:
Microsoft is great at com calls, you dont see me running it. From past
experiences converting high traffic servers from NT -> Linux -> BSD, BSD
IS the better of the three. Never have the servers which i run been so
stable. As for the 2.4.0 Kernel, it was just released. Im sure there will=

be plenty of root exploits, bugs, problems (as always) with it to soon be=

found.

You've said it yourself, BSD has a 20+ year headstart over linux so logic=

would say that it is the better OS. My understanding is that the BSD code=

audit is better than linux, which explains why the amount of exploits for=

BSD servers/services are non-existant compared to linux.

As for Linux being better than NT? Ofcourse it is but hey, which OS isnt
better than NT?!

Microsoft: "Where would you like to go to today"
Linux: "Where would you like to go tomorrow"
FreeBSD: "Hey,when are you guys going to catch up"

On 25 Jan 2001, Assad Khan wrote:

> Hi,
> =

>     I have been seeing a FreeBSD-VS-Linux war on this mailing list and =
it
has
> disturbed me beyond tolerance. Which drove me to write this e-mail.
> =

>  First I want to tell everyone that I love everything thats opensource =
and
> free, that includes FreeBSD,Linux,OpenBSD and NetBSD. But my most loved=
 OS
is
> Linux for the following reasons.
>   For its age Linux has gone farther than any other OS has, including
*BSD's.
> The BSD's have a history of 20+ years and you are trying to prove that =
its
> superior as compared to Linux? Give me a break! If they werent superior=

even
> now, then they did not deserve to be used at all. Plus Linux was writte=
from
> scratch, even though it was derived from Minix it did not contain any
foreign
> source code. While the BSD's contained actual AT&T code for quite some =
time
> and then they built upon that when they 'migrated' to 4.4BSD. Linux has=
more
> open model of developement as compared to any of the BSD's. With the
release
> of kernel 2.4.0 for Linux, its now an official gladiator in the arena o=
> Enterprise computing (although it is already running one of the most
heavily
> visited sites namely google.com,freshmeat.net...). Microsoft hates Linu=
x's
> guts while it seems to embrace the BSD's, for this reason alone is Linu=
worth
> using! =

> =

> This discussion could go on without an end, but my point is not to prov=
that
> Linux is better than FreeBSD or any other BSD but to say that Linux has=

done