Date:      25 Feb 2003 00:38:29 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Maxime Romano <verbophobe@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gconf and NFS homedirs

--=-riZRXMBb5EHk6A3+1wGa

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 00:25, Maxime Romano wrote:
> Morning,
>=20
> Upon startup of a gnome session, gconf complains that it can't lock the f=
ile=20
> ~/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock/ior .  So, making sure that gconf isn't=20
> running, I delete that nasty file, and restart gnome.  It seems to really=
=20
> want to start, but then it outputs hundreds of messages to /var/log/messa=
ges=20
> explaining that it can't lock ~/.gconfd/lock/ior, and the whole session g=
oes=20
> haywire.  Once that file is deleted, gconf will start without complaining=
,=20
> and the session will continue as normal.
>=20
> I've looked around, and according to http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/
> (Look under the "I'm having a lock file problem. What do I do?" heading),=
=20
> it's caused by my NFS mounted home directory, and that fact that rpc.stat=
d=20
> and rpc.lockd aren't running on both machines.
>=20
> Now, I first (gasp!) had this problem when I upgraded the client machine =
to=20
> 5.0-rel.  At that time, the rpc processes weren't started on either=20
> machines.  I stuck rpc_statd_enable=3D"YES" and rpc_lockd_enable=3D"YES" =
in=20
> rc.conf on both machines and everything went back to normal.  Yesterday,=20
> however, I upgraded the server machine from 4.7-rel to 5.0-rel, and that'=
s=20
> when the problem reappeared.  Of course, ps says that both machines are=20
> running both daemons (however, there's one extra rpc.lockd process runnin=
g=20
> as user "daemon" on both machines.  Normal?).
>=20
> I've tried everything from deleting my ~/.gconf and ~/.gconfd to recompil=
ing=20
> gconf, but nothing seems to help.  Any pointers?  I'm at a loss.

I heard there were some NFS locking issues in 5.x that affect GNOME.=20
That's the main reason I haven't upgraded any of my home machines.  It
works just fine with -STABLE.  Of course, I don't run rpc.lockd on
-STABLE since it's broken.  I only run rpc.statd on my NFS servers.

You may want to poke around the current@ archives for more clues.

Joe

>=20
> -Maxime Romano
> "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will n=
ot=20
> put."
> 	-- Sir Winston Churchill
> http://www.jewcrew.org/~verbophobe/