Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 22:51:20 -0400
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3.4 to 4.0 upgrade w/ March 2000 CD's?

I've got a 3.4 system installed and working on my network which I'd like to
upgrade to 4.0. I've got the subscription CD'd for FreeBSD 4.0 March 2000.
The machine is not a "heavily" used server, more of a test bed, but it is
configured and running on my network, with SAMBA, KDE word perfect,
netscape. I've got the 4.0 disk set and would like to upgrade.

The pamphlet in the CD BOX is basically the same one that has come in every
other CD w/ no special upgrade instructions. To paraphrase it, the CD
upgrade is brute force. I've seen messages that talk about a file
/usr/src/UPDATING as being a must read or something because of "gotch ya's"
when upgrading, but can't find that file.

Are there any 3.X to 4.0 upgrade instructions or tutorials for dummies? I
really don't have a lot of time to figure everything out, but would like to
start working with 4.0. Did any of the /etc configuration files or
directories change from 3.4 to 4.0? I would bet they did.

Thanks, Cla.