Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 12:23:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brian V. McGroarty" <brianmcg@mcs.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install 2.1.5 from DOS partition checksum failure

>> I'm getting checksum failures almost immediately when starting the install
>> of FreeBSD 2.1.5 with a DOS volume as the source.
>
>Did you remember to download the files in binary mode?  Just double
>checking.

Yuppers -- did a binary transfer.  [ description of okay hardware and
presumably ok installation procedure deleted ]

It occurred to me that I should have mentioned that the "DOS" volume was
actually a Windows 95-formatted partition.  Perhaps this makes a
difference.

I got my installation going by using the ppp ftp installer once I found
that (a) ppp was forcing /dev/cuaa0 and (b) my Chicago ISP turned out to be
the flaky party yet again -- the install works fine with a long-distance
call to my California ISP.

Brian       --       catmega@pobox.com       --       Chicagoland
   "To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit
    reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants
    to be either fools or slaves." - Claude Adrien Helvetius