Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:38:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: short uid/gid

I am not aware of the latest ISO C standards, but I believe things like
'int' and 'long' are not defined in their lengths, but the minimum
values they can represent: 'int' has to be able to do -65536 to +65536
approximately and long has to be able to do -2 billion to +2 billon
approximately. On gcc x86, a 'long' may in fact be the same lentgh as
an 'int'. The only types in C that *may* have their lengths defined are
'char' (8-bit value) and 'wchar' (16-bit value) as far as I know. I
believe Java has the strict length interpritations.

Has this changed with the latest C standards (and was it ever true in
the first place)?