Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:52:41 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: w command appears broke in 4.1

Doug Barton wrote:
Hello Doug,

> Because the formats of these three files is different between the 2.2.8 and
> 4.x branches attempting to read them with the new system binaries will
> result in the display of what seem to be corrupted entries, and in some
> cases may prevent them from working properly.

I did a fresh install beginning with 4.0 RELEASE then tracked STABLE until today
and my w doesn´t work either. So the problem must be somewhere within the 4.x
tree.

bash-2.04$ su toor
Password:
su-2.04# w
 9:48pm  up  5:57, 0 users, load averages: 0.15, 0.06, 0.01
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
su-2.04#

> By deleting them before
> you reboot you will eliminate this problem. Although in theory the system
> should do the right thing and create them again for you, at least for
> wtmp and lastlog it does not, so it is safer to touch the files after you
> have deleted them. You should take note of their permissions before
> deleting them and reset them appropriately after you touch them.

Will try this when rebooting the next time. Thanks for the hint.

Ciao
Siegbert