Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:02:58 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        David Shanes <dshanes@personalogic.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

On Thu,  9 April 1998 at 23:19:58 -0400, Open Systems Networking wrote:
> I think we SERIOUSLY need a PR plan of some kind. I think also we can take
> the gloves off and start kicking heads without getting nasty about it. We
> have several FACTUAL resources that they just CANT compete with.

Does anybody out there care?  What I see is that they will get the
impression "these free UNIXes attract a strange, aggressive kind of
person, each saying \"My UNIX is better than your UNIX\"".

>> guys hasn't appeared to have won us anything but lots of nice comments
>> from folks like Marc A. at netscape to the effect that "Linux is the
>> only free OS alternative." I'm getting tired of that, and if it's
>> going to take "breaking ranks" with the rest of the free OS community
>> to get our own message out, maybe it's time.
>
> I second this! But the problemhere is that we have zero PR. I am not
> making light of jordans efforts at all. His trips, his talks, his free CD
> handouts to promote FreeBSD. But the fact is we dont have any PR that is
> making any difference to anyone but geeks. ORA flat out annoys me by
> pretty much refusing to do a FreeBSD book. The only publisher I can
> respect now would be addison wessley since they have seemed interested in
> publishing gregs book. I dont know what happened on that front.

Neither do I.  Time to nag, I suppose.  J Carter Shanklin called me a
couple of months ago and was really interested, but things seemed to
cool off before he got the book (*if* he got the book).  I will
report.

Greg