Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 02:24:49 +0000
From:      "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Experiments...

I have done my exam at University, and now I'm again here "active" and
kicking.. ;)

Now, the problem is: what to do? I'm trying to build my personal toolchain. So
I have compiled binutils (latest version) and I'll try to compile egcs
tomorrow. Maybe it's a better compiler, but it's more an experiment to see what
it says when I try to compile it.
The problem is: I haven't an Ultra. So someone must test bins for me (we can
compare what my toolchain gives and what _you_ obtain from your toolchain).

Ok, this is not a tecnical prob, the tecnical ones are:

1) I have compiled binutils with sparc64-elf, is this right? Have I to use
sparc-aout?

2) I'll try to compile egcs with same flags in 1)

My idea is to have 2 toolchains. The first one to test "compiler" and the
second one to use it on code. We don't know much about egcs/gcc/etc. so I
thought to test compiler/toolchain on a usable platform (Solaris). This mean
the first toolchain (I called it SolarSystem) must be used _only_ to test the
compiler, and the second one (EatIt) must be used to do our test when
SolarSystem works.

Now, I don't know if we can build Sparc64 bins under solaris, and what to do to
build the right toolchain.

About test programs. I'm preparing some test programs. The first is something
like "do-nothing". No output, no input. After that I'll do more complicated
programs (math progs, and input/output, etc...).

Suggestions?

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _