Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 13:32:56 +0300
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Nelis Lamprecht <nelis@brabys.co.za>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: weird messages on bootup

> Even though my box is running with no problems I have been getting these
> weird messages on bootup ever since I installed FreeBSD on this machine.
> Just out of curiosity I'd thought I'd mail the list to see if anybody could
> tell me what exactly is causing it. Is it just the way FreeBSD probes for
> devices on startup? They appear almost immediately on boot before all the
> other normal gunk:
>
> config> di sn0
> No such device: sn0

The lines after 'config>' come from file /boot/kernel.conf. They
are put there by the visual kernel configuration procedure when you
install FreeBSD. They are meant to disable the devices that you chose
to disable during the install of FreeBSD.

Once you get the system installed and build custom kernel without
these devices, FreeBSD can no longer disable the devices because
they simply do not exist. This is what it is trying to tell you with
'No such device' messages.

You can remove the lines that represent non-existent devices from
/boot/kernel.conf or write the following into /boot/loader.conf:
userconfig_script_load="NO".

--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Avoid commas, that are not necessary.