Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2001 19:26:44 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Rob <rob@robhulme.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Putting my box through its paces... make world?!?

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html

tells the whole story. If all you want is to stress-test memory and
disks,

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld

will stress your system (but not the network interfaces).

# make clean

after the test will free disk space needed during the build process.

HTH
-Christoph Sold

Rob schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I've just replaced the memory on a co located server that I have because it
> kept crashing with page faults and stuff... It was suggested before that it
> might have been crashing because the memory was bad, and whenever there was
> a lot of activity on the box it would crash...
>
> Now I've replaced the memory I'd like to really put it through its paces to
> see if it crashes or not.
>
> I'm quite new to FreeBSD - but can I just:
>
> cd /usr/src
> buildworld
>
> If I do this - it won't actually change any of the configuration of my
> system will it? It won't replace any files (the kernel, etc...) - all it
> will do is rebuild the source (but not install it) - right?
>
> Is this the right thing to do?
>
> Thanks
> -Rob :0)

Freundliche Grüße aus Waiblingen

Christoph Sold
--
Systemadministrator, i-clue GmbH, Endersbacher Str. 57, 71334 Waiblingen
Fon: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-12, Fax: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-55, Mail: so@i-clue.de