Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 17:54:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>
To:        lambert@warped.cswnet.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 256MB mail server with 190+MB inactive?

This sounds familier to the lockup I was having when a user with a huge mail
spool read mail.  See "2 lockups in 24 hours" message.  I didn't bother to
post about the 3 more within the following 24 hours.  I've been running for
a day and a half after applying the later patch in PR kern/8416.  I am using
imap-uw for mail spool access.  This was a new problem after an installworld
on or about 5/1, but mail spool file sizes here vary quite widely so that
could also be a factor. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Cliff

On Tue, 4 May 1999 lambert@warped.cswnet.com wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've run into something I don't understand.  I have replaced a 64MB mail
> server running 2.1.6 with a 256MB server running 3.1-19990218-STABLE.
>
> The 64MB system was running about 9MB into swap at all times and used 20 -
> 25MB for cache, ~23MB active, 10-15MB wired, and between 490K and 3MB
> free.  The rest was inact or buf.  We had a few problems with users timing
> out while checking their mail.
>
> The 256MB server went up this morning and is seeing real load for the
> first time.  It hung after 5 hours of uptime.  We had to push the reset
> button to recover.  It was still responding to pings and would switch
> between virtual consoles.  You could enter a username at the login prompt
> but would not get a password prompt.  Ctrl-Alt-Del did not work to reload
> the box.
>
> Now it's back up and has been up for 3:30.  Current memory stats from top
> are:
>
> Mem: 23M Active, 189M Inact, 19M Wired, 12M Cache, 8330K Buf, 6512K Free
> 120 processes, 118 sleeping.
>
> The rpc.statd process shows to be using 257M with 468K resident.
>
> Most of the other processes are sendmail of sizes < 1532K.
>
> Where did all of my memory go?  I've seen the archives stating that rpc.statd
> is known to show un-realistic virtual memory sizes in the 3.x tree.
>
> Also how do I set the video mode to 80x60?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Lambert
> lambert@cswnet.com

Cliff Skolnick