Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 1997 17:28:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts@clark.net>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am contemplating the following change...

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Network cards are so inexpensive in nowadays ... I think people
> won't have to use the 8 Bit ones never more. And if you need, you
> can change the values in visual kernel config ...
>
> I think IRQ 5 for network cards is only needed in rare cases.

4 of the last 5 NICs I've purchased have been IRQ5, as well as the last
one that someone gave me.

> IRQ 10 is a more sane default. Or do you all wanna say, that
> most people install FreeBSD without X11 on a 80386 form 1990 ?!

I'd say that most people choose older, cheaper hardware for a home network,
and most people use FreeBSD at home.

> Is FreeBSD turing PC's into workstations or is it only used
> for lamer PC hardware ?!

The first machine I put it on was a 386/25.  If not for that, I certainly
wouldn't have purchased a K6 to run FreeBSD on.  Yes, the 386 is still
running just fine, 'lamer hardware' that it is.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts@clark.net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280