Date:      Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:51:36 -0500
From:      hawk <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: invisible files in /usr/tmp ???

mike mentioned
> hawk <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu> types:
> > I'm having a problem with files in /usr/tmp becoming "invisible."

> Being "invisble" implies that they are still there, but you can't see
> them. What makes you think they are still there?

When I try to download again, netscape apparently sees them and asks if
I want to overwrite.

> > Typically, this comes when downloading a file with netscape.  ls then
> > can see the file, and that it's copying over it if I download again,
> > but ls cannot see the files.

> I can't parse this. Please try again.

I download a file, apparently successfully.  I look in /usr/tmp, but it
shows no evidence of being there.  I then tell netscape to download
again, and it asks if it should overwrite the file.

> > While I'm at it, neither /tmp nor /usr/tmp seem to be regularly deleting
> > files; could this be related?

> Nope. You can enable cleaning tmp by adding the appropriate things to
> /etc/periodic.conf. See the periodic.conf man page for details.

mmm, htat would explain why so many systems seem to fall out of the
habit :)

thanks

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.       Smeal 178    (814) 375-4700
dochawk@psu.edu