Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:43:40 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <netchild@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Thierry Thomas <thierry@freebsd.org>, multimedia@freebsd.org, shaun@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please, test new port: helixplugin

On Monday 23 October 2006 03:59, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
= Have a look at the way Real is distributing this for Linux or Solaris. š
= And they do the work, not I or someone else @FreeBSD.org. We just have š
= a look at the logs and tell them the cause of the problems we see. So š
= we are locked to their standard way of distributing RealPlayer.

Ah, Ok -- so you are not working on a port (in the /usr/ports sense of the
word)...

I don't think, Real will ever do it optimally (the way a port would), nor will
they support all our architectures... They build their own libz, libbz2,
libjpeg, for crying out loud :-)

We should continue maintaining the helixplayer port (hi, Shaun!), and,
perhaps, have it fetch/install Real-compiled extra codecs the way
linux-realplayer currently does, for example...

Cooperating with Real on their own builds remains a fine idea, of course, if
only for their continuing to maintain the binary-only codecs, but the
FreeBSD-supported way of installing Real/HelixPlayer should still be the
port, IMO.

= Have a look if a linux app (realplay) hangs in the fifoor state and
= prevents to startup another instance of the same app.

No, when the problem appears (on cbsnews.com), the states of various threads
are "select", "piperd", "nanslp", and "pause". I think, it is CBS' own
tricks, that confuse the plugin (maybe, they tested them on a newer version).

Were you able to see, what I'm talking about? On the front page click play --
an advertisement will start playing. Let it finish and click on a clip
below... If you click repeatedly, you'll see the first frame of the new clip,
quickly covered by the last frame of the first one...

	-mi

P.S. The plugin port I posted contains a fix for one crucial bug (search for
realloc) and some other useful stuff (vfork over fork, Gecko headers). If you
have Real's ear, you may be able to push the fixes through :-)