Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 21:21:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, ajohns@TurnAround.com.au, mestery@visi.com, dann@greycat.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended laptops for FreeBSD?

According to Greg Lehey:
> On Sunday, 27 June 1999 at 18:30:03 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > According to Greg Lehey:
> >> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]

> >> All current Dell laptops use the NeoMagic chipset, which used to be a
> >> problem because NeoMagic didn't release programming documentation.
> >> They've done so now, however, and the latest version of XFree86
> >> includes a driver which works pretty well on my Latitude CPi.  I'm
> >> told that the Inspiron series works pretty well with FreeBSD, too.
> >
> > 	A friend who got a free Dell Latitude for work was wondering;
> > 	this info should interest him.
> >
> > 	The PAO list is interesting--especially since my 3.2 CD's
> > 	just arrived--but the PAO information seems dated..  I've
> > 	seen a `UMAX' l'top that would be just small enough (12.1")
> > 	to be worth buying at around $1000US.  But I've seen
> > 	nothing about this or other off-brand laptops.
>
> There are efforts under way to incorporate the PAO code into the
> mainstream.  Previously, PAO worked on laptops, but not necessarily on
> larger machines.  I'm running 3.2-RELEASE on my Latitude at the
> moment.  I needed to change /etc/pccard.conf to reflect the cards I
> put in (a 3Com 3C589C and a no-name modem with a Cirrus Logic
> chipset).

		It would be outstanding if FreeBSD ran on a wider
		variety of Intel//AMD laptops.  Or had a CD release
		exclusively for laptops.  I'm targeting sometime
		within the next quarter or two to buy ... so here's
		hoping.

> > 	Is there any way of telling whether any generic laptops would
> > 	work with FBSD?
>
> There's a web page at http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/~toshi/PAO/LTS.txt,
> and another at http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~dkulp/fbsd/laptop.html.  Apart
> from that, it's " suck it and see", I'm afraid.

		Yeah, I can just imagine the screams if I tried
		to return a laptop with the Lose98 trashed.  ....

		gary

		PS:  Thanks for the additional website.